Every Sunday we post the “Sunday Seven” so you can quickly see the seven most popular articles of the week. This week’s most popular posts cover coaching, CrossFit, pull ups, sleep, mature athletes, deadlifting, and grip strength!
1. The CrossFit L1 Cert Doesn’t Make You a Coach (Patrick McCarty)
The idea you can take an L1 course just a CrossFitter on a Saturday morning and emerge Sunday afternoon a coach is pure fantasy. I know this because I was the world’s worst CrossFit coach for 2 years.
2. Is CrossFit Going the Way of the Globo Gym? (Andrew Read)
If the future is that affiliates are going to build bigger and fancier boxes, filled with various types of machines, aren’t they just the same thing as before, just with slightly different exercises?
3. Why Unpacking the Shoulder in Pull Ups Is Helpful (Logan Christopher)
I’m going to give advice counter to at least 99% of what is out there. When doing pull ups, it is generally indicated to keep the shoulders packed down. I don’t think that’s the best you can do.
4. 9 All-Natural Tips for Better Sleep (Vanessa Bennington)
For some, going to bed earlier is easier said than done. What do you do if sleep escapes you on a regular basis? Here are tips for those who are struggling to find a natural way to get more shut-eye.
5. 3 Unusual Accessory Exercise to Bust Through Your Deadlift Plateau (Josh Henkin)
Powerlifters and Olympic lifters have used variations of their lifts to improve their specific weaknesses for decades. We can use the same strategy with the deadlift with these variations.
6. The Training Solution for the 40+ Athlete (Andrew Read)
I ask myself before every session, “Is this going to make me fitter and healthier?” The goal in the second half of life should be to move well and with strength so you can enjoy the rest of your life.
7. More Insight Into Developing Grip Strength: Your Hand Digits (Tom Kelso)
We’re going to take a closer look at grip strength – with particular attention to your hand digits (fingers and thumb) and their intrinsic muscles.
Photo courtesy of CrossFit Impulse.